Tuesday, May 29, 2007

Old Ladies are Weird

One of the fun things about running in public is that you always encounter interesting stuff. Usually it is just waking the homeless or an altercation with an animal. (I have not yet found my first dead body. Once I do, I'll be a real runner.)

This week while I was approaching a couple old ladies, I stepped on a stick. One of them turned with her hand on her heart and said "Oh my gosh, you scared me!"

There were people all over the place. She must have been scared frequently.

"Sorry, just walking." (I was taking a short break, OK?)

Her friend smiled and asked "How far is it to the rkspofmkl?"

"Umm, what?"

"How far is it to the mnijhosls?"

"Uh, where do you want to go?"

The scared old lady looked like she thought I was going to murder her. They began talking back and forth in some other language. I wondered how rude it would be to run away right then. The frightened lady looked to the sky and prayed, "How did I get into this?"

"Be good!" I waved and jogged away. The happy old lady smiled, waved and said "Bye bye!"

No comments: