Friday, May 18, 2007

Commas, are, Stupid

The worst part of creating anything are critical reviews. I don't mean praise or jeers. I like hearing honest feedback, even if it is as brutal as "That sucked." What I hate is a pretentious "expert" pointing out superfluous and questionable incorrections. In writing, these people usually have an English degree, claim to be a published author and are incapable of producing anything that humans would ever choose to read.

I can deal with it, but I worry about the young writers. How will they know whose feedback is worthy? The litmus test is the comma. If you receive any mention of commas, disregard everything else. Comma usage is the least important aspect of writing, even compared to proper capitalization. In the editing process, comma polishing should happen last, without ever bothering the author, and in a dingy basement.

No comments: