Monday, April 23, 2007

Guitar Hero Lies

One of the many charms of the game Guitar Hero are the pearls of Rock 'n Roll wisdom dispensed during loading screens. They include "Don't give the drummer a microphone. It'll only end in tears." and "They don't really want you to play Freebird. They are just heckling you." As critical to stardom as these are, there is one proverb that I take exception to:

"Your mom doesn't count as as fan."

In keeping with glorious Rock tradition, my mom always hated my bands. I was wary when bandmates' parents showed up to gigs. I learned, staring out at sparse and surly crowds, that all audience members (especially ones that are obligated to like you) are welcome.

The most pretentious and harmful thing a band can do is be picky about their fans. If you find you have developed a strong following among the mentally-handicapped community, run with it.

I am not exaggerating. One of the best gigs I had in college was a dance for a local group home. The people were as easy to please as the normal bar crowd at closing, but much better behaved.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Well, did you really WANT mom there? ;) At least your sister shows up every now and then ....