Monday, June 4, 2007

In the Slums, Part of the Charm is Wacky Neighbors

I always live in the cheapest apartments I can find. Usually my neighbors are nice people: young families, the elderly, the normal masses of the working poor. My previous 2-bedroom was was different. It really was the slums. I would have been surprised if over half the tenants had jobs (not counting drug dealers.)

Among the cast of characters were "Scary Guy" from across the hall and "Party Girl" who was usually seen being dropped off Saturday morning.

One morning I when I left for work there was a guy standing next to all his stuff in the parking lot. In the doorway next to mine I heard a little boy ask "Is daddy leaving?"

Just before the door shut mom said "You'll never see daddy again."

How touching.

No comments: